ITS REALLY EASY!
Everyone can volunteer! Whatever your interests, experience, skills and time available there should be an opportunity that suits you.
The most difficult part can be taking the first step, but once you get started you’ll probably continue volunteering at times throughout your life. How often Volunteer Centres hear “I’ve been meaning to volunteer for ages”. Don’t wait any longer – you can get started today!
But its worth thinking through a few issues and considering your options before jumping in.
- Think about what you can offer to an organisation – particular skills, enthusiasm?
- Decide how much time you want to give
- If you use a Volunteer Centre’s services to find your ideal opportunity, you’ll be given lots of information from which you can make your choice. But before contacting a Volunteer Centre, it’s worth thinking about why you want to volunteer? Click here for Why Volunteer? Finding the right opportunity is much easier once you’ve decided why you want to get involved.
- Look in your local paper – news about the activities of local charities will help you decide which one might fit with your interests.
- Browse the Do-It website. By entering your post code and how far you are prepared to travel to volunteer, you’ll be presented with a list of possible opportunities in your area. You can even register online!
- Ask lots of questions – both at the Volunteer Centre and when you visit your chosen organisation. Make sure you understand what it expected of you.